Being used to Cisco switches, Im having a hard time trying to assign a SNMP compatible name/description to the interfaces on our EWS7928FP.  Basically set the IFName value. Even tried the CLI with no success? Is this even doable?

Edited by kirk beideman

Using an RRdtool like Cacti can read the MiBS of ifName, ifAlias and ifDescrip.  WIth the Engenius EWS7928FP, the ifName gets read as GigabitEthernet1,  GigabitEthernet2, GigabitEthernet3 and so on.  But I wouild like to make a custom name like 'ConRoom Wifi' or 'OutsideWifi', but there seems to be no way to do this

On 3/2/2017 at 8:00 AM, kirk beideman said:

Using an RRdtool like Cacti can read the MiBS of ifName, ifAlias and ifDescrip.  WIth the Engenius EWS7928FP, the ifName gets read as GigabitEthernet1,  GigabitEthernet2, GigabitEthernet3 and so on.  But I wouild like to make a custom name like 'ConRoom Wifi' or 'OutsideWifi', but there seems to be no way to do this

Kirk,

We will check on this from the engineering team if this kind of modification would be doable. We'll post for the updates.

Best Regards

Look forward to this reply, I was really surprised I was not able to find a way to set an ifAlias in the Port Settings page on my EWS1200-28T which makes it difficult to manage and monitor. Also most (if not all) SNMP management tools I have tried rely on the ifAlias and don't provide a provision to set an interface name in the application so I have found no way to work around this issue.