Jump to content
BuckyW

Forcing clients to connect to 5G

Recommended Posts

I have a couple EWS360 with the same SSID settings for both 2.4G and 5G. I have band steering configured to "Force 5G" but they don't seem to actually do anything. How do I get dual band client devices to force connection to 5GHz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Transmit power of both 2.4G and 5G are already configured to the highest possible value but still unable for client devices to "force connect" to 5G:(

Any other settings I can try?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the if the client devices do indeed have dual-band wlan adapters. Perhaps they have 2.4GHz wlan adapters only. Also make sure that the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSID profiles have exactly the same SSID name, wireless security type and passphrase for band-steering to work properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there are options for band steering available, then the best option to select is “Prefer 5 GHz” with a threshold of “-80” dBm.   This will make the client devices connect normally on the 5 GHz band, but will allow them to connect on 2.4 GHz in areas where 5 GHz coverage is weak but 2.4 GHz coverage is still available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016年6月24日 at 7:06 PM, BuckyW said:

Transmit power of both 2.4G and 5G are already configured to the highest possible value but still unable for client devices to "force connect" to 5G:(

Any other settings I can try?

You could try to lower the transmit power of the 2.4G radio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2016 at 7:06 PM, BuckyW said:

Transmit power of both 2.4G and 5G are already configured to the highest possible value but still unable for client devices to "force connect" to 5G:(

Any other settings I can try?

I agree with Mike

 

On 6/25/2016 at 8:58 AM, Mike said:

Check the if the client devices do indeed have dual-band wlan adapters. Perhaps they have 2.4GHz wlan adapters only. Also make sure that the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSID profiles have exactly the same SSID name, wireless security type and passphrase for band-steering to work properly.

Make sure the device supports dual band connection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. 2.4G has much larger coverage than 5G (with the same Tx power value). You have to ensure that your dual band device is inside 5g coverage.
2. bandsteering technology won't really "force" a client device to 5G when it is already connecting with 2.4G. The "steering" takes effect only when a client trying to reassociate with wifi (like reconnect).
3. As I known (like Aruba?), the difference between "perfer" and "force" is: "prefer" will still allow the dualband client to associate with "not preferred" band (eg, 2.4G) if the client insists to associate with the band; "force" will only allow the client to associate with dedicated band even it is dualband capable.

Edited by Leo Penn
  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leo Penn said:

1. 2.4G has much larger coverage than 5G (with the same Tx power value). You have to ensure that your dual band device is inside 5g coverage.
2. bandsteering technology won't really "force" a client device to 5G when it is already connecting with 2.4G. The "steering" takes effect only when a client trying to reassociate with wifi (like reconnect).
3. As I known (like Aruba?), the difference between "perfer" and "force" is: "prefer" will still allow the dualband client to associate with "not preferred" band (eg, 2.4G) if the client insists to associate with the band; "force" will only allow the client to associate with dedicated band even it is dualband capable.

Thanks for your explanation, Leo. My customers always confused by the term "force". I need to spend a lot of time to explain that band steering won't break a client's current connection. I guess it's the only way to keep some applications like VoIP working well.
One question, I got a customer said that he don't care about the VoIP. He want to force any wifi client to associate with its closest AP in 5G. Is it possible in current Neutron AP?

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sofia Coppola said:

One question, I got a customer said that he don't care about the VoIP. He want to force any wifi client to associate with its closest AP in 5G. Is it possible in current Neutron AP?

 

Sofia, I cannot find any settings to support the feature you mentioned. In my opinion, the strict force may result in more trouble because wireless clients can behave very different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2016‎年‎7‎月‎7‎日 at 11:38 PM, Sofia Coppola said:

Thanks for your explanation, Leo. My customers always confused by the term "force". I need to spend a lot of time to explain that band steering won't break a client's current connection. I guess it's the only way to keep some applications like VoIP working well.
One question, I got a customer said that he don't care about the VoIP. He want to force any wifi client to associate with its closest AP in 5G. Is it possible in current Neutron AP?

If that is the case for pure-5G only wi-fi deploymnet, I found the alternative is to disable all 2.4GHz SSID on Neutron AP. 

On ‎2016‎年‎7‎月‎7‎日 at 11:38 PM, Sofia Coppola said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.