TMac

Concurrent Users

A project in student dormitory requests 30 access points with management solution, and 50~60 concurrent users in 1 access point.

EWS controller seems very suitable for the requirement, but my only concern is the number of concurrent user.

I am curious that engenius ap could support 50 concurrent users above or not ...

Dual-band Neutron APs can support 50 concurrent users specially if Band Steering is enabled. Band steering encourages dual-band devices to connect to the less congested 5GHz band and splitting up the load between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios of the AP.

On 2016/6/25 at 9:03 AM, Mike said:

Dual-band Neutron APs can support 50 concurrent users specially if Band Steering is enabled. Band steering encourages dual-band devices to connect to the less congested 5GHz band and splitting up the load between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios of the AP.

Hi Mike,

May I know 50 concurrent users for one radio or total 50 concurrent users for two radio?

Although the APs are able to support up to 100 concurrent connections, we recommend the number of not more than 50 clients per AP (2.4GHz + 5GHz = 50 clients) for the best performance.

On 2016/7/2 at 3:44 AM, Cacey said:

50 wireless clients per radio. 

Does this number work in all models? or different models got different limitations? I guess hardware capability should be different.

2 hours ago, Sofia Coppola said:

Does this number work in all models? or different models got different limitations? I guess hardware capability should be different.

Basically i think the number is for all models with 11n supported at least

Hardware capability is one of considering point, software tuning is another important one.

I heard that the number of concurrent users depends on the number and type of external antennas. For example, if the AP is using 3 or more antennas, then it can support up to 50 users regardless if the AP is dual-band or not. But if it's just 2, then it's only up to 32 users. Is this true?

On 2016/7/9 at 5:22 PM, shalobelle said:

I heard that the number of concurrent users depends on the number and type of external antennas. For example, if the AP is using 3 or more antennas, then it can support up to 50 users regardless if the AP is dual-band or not. But if it's just 2, then it's only up to 32 users. Is this true?

I have never heard this, and believe the number of concurrent users is not positive correlation to the number and type of external antennas,

but the hardware performance and software operating efficiency are the possible major causes.

12 minutes ago, TMac said:

the number of concurrent users is not positive correlation to the number and type of external antennas

Agree, I think so.

Possibly the different chipset solution of client shall be considered effect.  

Thank you TMac.

But I am still confused because the EnGenius wireless indoor AP comparison chart states that for dual-band APs, specifically ECB and EAP, support up to 50 users on each radio. What about outdoor APs, is it the same?

1 hour ago, shalobelle said:

But I am still confused because the EnGenius wireless indoor AP comparison chart states that for dual-band APs, specifically ECB and EAP, support up to 50 users on each radio. What about outdoor APs, is it the same?

It the platform is same as EAP/ECB, I believe outdoor APs could also support 50 users on each radio, since the code base is same for different product line with same platform.

Okay but when you say platform, are you referring to chipset? If yes then we really could not tell just by looking at the product data sheet alone, right?

So will it be safe to say, moving forward, that for dual-band indoor and outdoor APs, running on wireless N and the latest wireless AC technology, user support is up to 50? Not 50 users per radio but 50 per device for best performance?

And is there an FAQ page where I can refer it to?