What is the importance of aggregation to an indoor/outdoor AP? Why is it that sometimes we need disable it and when do we do that? Can we also make changes on the value, instead of disabling it?

I am also interested to know. Sometimes we play around this setting if customers are experiencing slow wireless speed not really knowing what really is the importance of this setting.

2 hours ago, rhinox27 said:

I am also interested to know. Sometimes we play around this setting if customers are experiencing slow wireless speed not really knowing what really is the importance of this setting.

Hi Rhinox27

Aggregation is a feature of the IEEE 802.11e, 802.11n and 802.11ac wireless LAN standards that increases throughput by sending two or more data frames in a single transmission.

• Upvote 2

@Joel

44 minutes ago, Joel said:

Hi Rhinox27

Aggregation is a feature of the IEEE 802.11e, 802.11n and 802.11ac wireless LAN standards that increases throughput by sending two or more data frames in a single transmission.

Aggregation you've define is Frame Aggregation,right? What's the difference between Frame Aggregation & Packet Aggregation?

• Upvote 1

Packet aggregation is the process of joining multiple packets together into a single transmission unit, in order to reduce the overhead associated with each transmission.

• Upvote 3

I appreciate all your posts as to what an aggregation is but I am still hoping to get an answer to my question.

It maybe possible that we don't really have to disable aggregation it's because by its definition that it increases throughput by sending two or more data frames in a single transmission but when do we disable the aggregation from a WAP?

In 802.11n standard, aggregation was the most important to maximize throughput and efficiency.

There are two parameters available to perform aggregation : AMPDU and AMSDU. However I am sorry that I have no idea for the detail. 

I experienced to reduce the aggregation number in PtMP scenario or the wifi environment with lot interference, and increase for PtP.

But the transmission in short distance, the influence of aggregation is less.

• Upvote 1