jwal61

Enstation AC bridge to wireless..what am I missing?

I have two AC units working as a wireless bridge at 50 yards.  At one end it plugs into my Engenius ews2910p which is giving lan data and POE power. At the other end it has an smc switch giga bit with power being supplied to the AC with the poe injector that came with.  It works fine with my wired computer plugged into the SMC switch but when I plug an ews300ap into the switch my wireless won't get an IP number or when it does it sends a subnet of 255.255.0.0. 

I have verified the AP and switch work by taking the entire unit (switch and AP) into the house and plugged the entire assembly into my EWS switch which is connected to my wired LAN. It has run on the wired LAN for a week without an issue with the EWS 300 AP working flawlessly. 

I have been working on this on and off for almost a year with no resolution.  I can't seem to get tech support on the phone to verify my settings in the AC units but I'm guessing they work since my wired computer works fine on the ac-ac setup.  

I have a set of old Engenius APs that have been running non-stop as an AP/repeater setup for years. When I decided to update my network I naturally went with Engenius again.  

Any ideas or what you need to help me?

Thanks 

James

Try setting the EnStationAC bridges in a WDS Bridge to WDS Bridge configuration. Since they are only 50 yds apart, you'll likely have to lower the transmit power of both bridge to around 11dBm to 14dBm. You may want to check out the following link:

https://helpcenter.engeniustech.com/hc/en-us/articles/235454228--Deploying-a-Point-to-Multi-Point-Backhaul-Network

42 minutes ago, Mike said:

Try setting the EnStationAC bridges in a WDS Bridge to WDS Bridge configuration. Since they are only 50 yds apart, you'll likely have to lower the transmit power of both bridge to around 11dBm to 14dBm. You may want to check out the following link:

https://helpcenter.engeniustech.com/hc/en-us/articles/235454228--Deploying-a-Point-to-Multi-Point-Backhaul-Network

I'm pretty sure I followed this in the beginning but I will gladly try it again.  I've looked at so many videos and sites trying to make this work I may just start over again.

I do know my power is turned all the way down and I'm in bridge mode.  The link works fine on my with my computer wired to the Lan. 

I may just reset everything and start over with this document. I will report back.  

Thanks for the link.

James

It sounds to me as if the issue is in your EWS300ap.  I would double check the LAN settings in this device and verify that the gateway address matches your primary router,  and the IP address is correct.  It might also help to give it a static IP in your primary router as well.  Then I would verify that you are connecting to the primary network as opposed to the guest network. The guest network, or an incorrect gateway would be the primary reasons for the AP to try and give you a different subnet mask than your primary network.  It might be worth resetting and reprogramming this device as well to ensure that everything is set correct. 

2 hours ago, Josh said:

It sounds to me as if the issue is in your EWS300ap.  I would double check the LAN settings in this device and verify that the gateway address matches your primary router,  and the IP address is correct.  It might also help to give it a static IP in your primary router as well.  Then I would verify that you are connecting to the primary network as opposed to the guest network. The guest network, or an incorrect gateway would be the primary reasons for the AP to try and give you a different subnet mask than your primary network.  It might be worth resetting and reprogramming this device as well to ensure that everything is set correct. 

Josh I've checked all that many times.  I'm going to start over with the entire setup and see what happens. Maybe a complete reset will make a difference.

I'm pretty sure I even tried another AP but will do that also. 

Thaks
James

So here's a rundown of what I've done....

1. I have reset both Enstation AC and carefully followed the article posted above.
 2. I have reset the A P and even tried a different one. When that didn't work I actually tried a different brand of A P but the symptoms were identical. 

I am actually typing this message from a computer that is hooked to the switch which is using the W D S bridge and it's working perfectly. When doing a speed test I actually get the same speeds as my wired LAN. I have double checked, and triple checked, all of my settings and equipment. All of the A Ps  work as they are supposed to when hooked to my wireless LAN or hooked to the switch connected to my wireless LAN.

I have attached an image showing what the message is on all of my mobile devices, my laptop, and my desktop, when trying to connect to the AP when connected through the bridge to the switch. The image is from an apple device but the same thing happens when trying to connect a Windows machine.  My Lan is on the 192.168.1.xx and 255.255.255.0 sub.

I'm at a loss and after months of dealing with this I'm about out of patience.

Thanks again.

James

Image.png

So in the above image, your device is not even connected to the WiFi.  Your WiFi icon is not there.  If that is the IP address you are receiving when you ARE connected to the WiFi then somewhere, one of your access points is set to deliver its own DHCP.  It is not assigning you a 192.168.xxx.xxx subnet...

16 hours ago, Josh said:

So in the above image, your device is not even connected to the WiFi.  Your WiFi icon is not there.  If that is the IP address you are receiving when you ARE connected to the WiFi then somewhere, one of your access points is set to deliver its own DHCP.  It is not assigning you a 192.168.xxx.xxx subnet...

It won't show the wifi icon until it connects.  

The image I posted is the main issue in bridge mode.  As stated though I can run the bridge to a switch, plug in a computer, and it works.  Plug in an access point, any access point, and the results are as posted above.  

I ordered another brand of product that can operate in bridge mode. After installing as directed by their manual it worked perfectly the first time.  Ironically I am running it with the same access point that won't work with the AC bridge. If I run the AC devices in any other mode they work fine.  

To me the biggest problem here is my inability to get a human on the phone at any time in the last year.  It would have taken 30 minutes or less to walk me through the settings so that I could make sure they were correct.  And yes I did send some e-mails, and it helped with some settings.  At some point though a simple phone conversation would have saved me hours of frustration.