rhinox27

Band Steering + Multiple SSID

Will band steering work if we have more than 1 SSID configured in the AP?

Yes, it will work.

Band Steering will only work using the first WiFi Profile for 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

5 minutes ago, CS13 said:

Yes, it will work.

Band Steering will only work using the first WiFi Profile for 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

So if you have 3 SSIDs enabled on the 2.4 Ghz band and 3 enabled on the 5 Ghz band the band steering applies only to the first SSID? The SSID 2 and 3 will not be able to use this feature? 

"For band steering to work both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSID profiles have to have the exact same SSID, type of wireless security and passphrase."

Why would you have more than 1 SSID if the names are the same? :)

1 minute ago, Lee10114 said:

So if you have 3 SSIDs enabled on the 2.4 Ghz band and 3 enabled on the 5 Ghz band the band steering applies only to the first SSID? The SSID 2 and 3 will not be able to use this feature? 

Yes, you are correct on that.

I guess this is a product limitation. Band steering only applies to the first SSID.

There should be a Band steering option per pair of 2.4 and 5ghz.

1 minute ago, Dodong_Jan2x said:

I guess this is a product limitation. Band steering only applies to the first SSID.

There should be a Band steering option per pair of 2.4 and 5ghz.

Yes, but it does not indicate that on the manual or anywhere on the UI. I assumed that this was applicable to all enabled SSID pairs

That's what I thought provided that each ssid are same for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz for each profile.

This is the first time I heard about this limitation. Does EnGenius get any plan to support bandsteering for multiple SSID?

17 hours ago, Leo Penn said:

This is the first time I heard about this limitation. Does EnGenius get any plan to support bandsteering for multiple SSID?

Hi Leo,

EnGenius SW team will revise the limitation on the EAP1750H first and then move on other electron indoor series and outdoor series before end of this year. Meanwhile, we will also revise RSSI threshold form single setting value to the separated settings on the both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The separated setting will assist users to implement accurate settings on AP mode.

Thanks

On 7/7/2016 at 6:16 AM, Lee10114 said:

It applies to all SSID. If you're going to enable all 8 SSID's , band steering will work for all 8 as long as you have the same SSID and Security settings.  

@Cacey: It doesn't apply to all SSID. Check what Jose Fernandez said.

On 7/8/2016 at 4:10 PM, Jose Feranandez said:

Hi Leo,

EnGenius SW team will revise the limitation on the EAP1750H first and then move on other electron indoor series and outdoor series before end of this year. Meanwhile, we will also revise RSSI threshold form single setting value to the separated settings on the both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The separated setting will assist users to implement accurate settings on AP mode.

Thanks

Edited by rhinox27
Did not quote correct post.

39 minutes ago, rhinox27 said:

@Cacey: It doesn't apply to all SSID. Check what Jose Fernandez said.

This is interesting. According to @Jason D. Hintersteiner, it should work . He said it's all or nothing :). 

It was my understanding that band steering applies to multiple SSIDs.   We tell customers that it applies to all SSIDs when more than one SSID per band is defined.    There seems to be some disagreement on this.  I will have to have our team test it.

We will also test this on a Neutron system in both "Force 5 GHz" and "Prefer 5 GHz" mode, as well as an Electron AP.   I believe the Electron APs only support "Force 5 GHz" mode (it is unspecified in the GUI).

Edited by Jason D. Hintersteiner
Clarification of post

Did testing this morning for the secondary SSID on both Electron EAP1200H and EWS360.  Testing proved inconsistent.   

The correct way to do this (i.e. the way most of our competitors do this) is to set a WLAN profile for each SSID, and then indicate whether the SSID applies to 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, or both.  If both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are selected, band steering is automatically enabled for that SSID.   

I did a test on EAP1750H with the latest firmware 2.0.361 and with the following wireless settings:

For 2.4GHz radio: AP; 20MHz; ch6; tx power:11dBm;  

For 5GHz radio:   AP; 40MHz; ch48; tx power:16dBm;  

Other settings are on the factory default settings. 3 SSIDs are enabled on both radios. The first (EnGeniusTest, WPA2-PSK/AES) and the 3rd (EnGenius3rd, open) have identical SSIDs and security settings on both radios, while the 2nd have different SSIDs but same security settings.  Please see the attached screenshot of the settings. 

Findings: Even if it doesn't have identical settings on the 3 SSIDs on both radios, it, still, let me save the settings despite of the warning message. Also, the band steering still works on the 2 SSIDs that have the identical settings. 

Wireless Settings_EAP1750H.png

19 hours ago, Caila said:

I did a test on EAP1750H with the latest firmware 2.0.361 and with the following wireless settings:

For 2.4GHz radio: AP; 20MHz; ch6; tx power:11dBm;  

For 5GHz radio:   AP; 40MHz; ch48; tx power:16dBm;  

Other settings are on the factory default settings. 3 SSIDs are enabled on both radios. The first (EnGeniusTest, WPA2-PSK/AES) and the 3rd (EnGenius3rd, open) have identical SSIDs and security settings on both radios, while the 2nd have different SSIDs but same security settings.  Please see the attached screenshot of the settings. 

Findings: Even if it doesn't have identical settings on the 3 SSIDs on both radios, it, still, let me save the settings despite of the warning message. Also, the band steering still works on the 2 SSIDs that have the identical settings. 

Wireless Settings_EAP1750H.png

Just to clarify, band steering also works even the second SSID aren't identical, right?

16 minutes ago, laireV said:

Just to clarify, band steering also works even the second SSID aren't identical, right?

Only when the SSIDs are identical. 

Just now, Cacey said:

That's what I thought. However upon looking at Caila's screenshot, it appears that 2nd SSIDs on both bands aren't identical and band steering worked. 

1 minute ago, laireV said:

That's what I thought. However upon looking at Caila's screenshot, it appears that 2nd SSIDs on both bands aren't identical and band steering worked. 

I think what Caila meant was that she's able to save the changes even though the SSIDs are not the same.  I think there are other devices that won't allow you to save the changes if you have Enabled Band steering and yet you have different SSIDs. 

On 7/26/2016 at 3:09 AM, Cacey said:

I think what Caila meant was that she's able to save the changes even though the SSIDs are not the same.  I think there are other devices that won't allow you to save the changes if you have Enabled Band steering and yet you have different SSIDs. 

Do you know any model of EnGenius AP in which you can't save the settings if the SSIDs on both radios are not completely alike and the band steering is enabled?

On 7/26/2016 at 3:05 AM, laireV said:

On 7/26/2016 at 3:01 AM, Cacey said:

Cacey is right laireV, since the 2nd SSIDs are not identical the band steering doesn't work on it, instead, you will see two 2nd SSIDs on your receiver (if its dual-band).

44 minutes ago, Caila said:

Cacey is right laireV, since the 2nd SSIDs are not identical the band steering doesn't work on it, instead, you will see two 2nd SSIDs on your receiver (if its dual-band).

Thanks Caila!

My bad, I thought it was 2nd SSID. so the 2 identical SSIDs (1st and 3rd). 

On 7/6/2016 at 3:18 PM, Dodong_Jan2x said:

"For band steering to work both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSID profiles have to have the exact same SSID, type of wireless security and passphrase."

Why would you have more than 1 SSID if the names are the same? :)

For employee and customer purposes, maybe :D

Edited by Rupert J