Jump to content
LaserWeld

EnstationAC Fast when reset, then slows way down

Recommended Posts

Ok. I have two EnstationAC's set 1.1 miles apart. I have a continuous connection at 19dbm on the signal strenght and RSSI's between 63 and 69 consistently. I am running AES encryption on a WDS Bridge. The connection is stable, but the speeds will continuously degrade until the connection is agonizingly slow. 

When it slows down, I can go in and reset both AP's and then I get transfer rates from 60 to 80mpbs. But then after a couple of hours the rate is down to 5mpb and then a few later down to .50mbps. 

I thought this might be a spanning tree issue so I set the target AP with the internet connection to 35653 and the receiving tower to the 65355(whatever the highest number is). 

Anybody have a similar issue? Any thoughts or breadcrumbs I can follow? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LaserWeld said:

Ok. I have two EnstationAC's set 1.1 miles apart. I have a continuous connection at 19dbm on the signal strenght and RSSI's between 63 and 69 consistently. I am running AES encryption on a WDS Bridge. The connection is stable, but the speeds will continuously degrade until the connection is agonizingly slow. 

When it slows down, I can go in and reset both AP's and then I get transfer rates from 60 to 80mpbs. But then after a couple of hours the rate is down to 5mpb and then a few later down to .50mbps. 

I thought this might be a spanning tree issue so I set the target AP with the internet connection to 35653 and the receiving tower to the 65355(whatever the highest number is). 

Anybody have a similar issue? Any thoughts or breadcrumbs I can follow? 

Please ensure that you have the most recent firmware posted on EnGenius official website. Did you enable Spanning Tree on the unit? If so, there is no need as you only have a pair of EnStationAC. I also recommend disabling "Green" and use non-DFS channel if possible. (i.e. 149, 157). Make sure that you are using the PoE injector and power adapter that came with the unit.

I also recommend targeting an RSSI on each end between -40 dBm to -50 dBm for optimal performance of a pair of APs in WDS bridge mode.  

This target is so the signal to noise ratio can be safely > 37 dB, meaning that the highest MCS rate (MCS9) can be achieved and maintained with an 80 MHz channel, and the throughput of the link maximized.  For 802.11ac 2x2:2 APs  measured data throughputs of about 350-400 Mbps can be achieved with 80 MHz channels, when the RSSI of each link is consistently in the -40 dBm to -50 dBm range.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply! I installed the latest firmware from the site (looked like 2015?) but did it anyway. I did enable spanning tree, and then set it to disable. Doesn't seem to make a difference either way, and as you say, it makes sense that with only the two AP's set in WDS bridge I shouldn't need it.

I have disabled "Green" as suggested and assumed this would be a feature to make the towers go to sleep. I am definitely using the POE injectors that came with the units (I bought them in a kit together).

It's been a struggle to get the RSSI below 60. But I guess I can continue. Does heat affect the AP's? It's hot in Utah and I am guessing on my roof and the other roof that 130F to 140F is very possible.

I can try channels 149 and 157, I avoided these based on the AP Scan's being pretty full there, although the RSSI's on those were pretty week in the high 80's and low 90's.

What baffles me is that I can get speeds that work for my needs and then it slows way down after awhile...

....I will try the other channels and get back to you. Thanks again for the reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried channels 36, 40, 149, 153 and 157 with poor results. I alternated between 40mhz and 80mhz to see if the signal would change.

Eventually I got 161 to work at 80mhz and the throughput is around 58mbits/second which will work for me. I will watch it to see if it begins to slow down in a couple of hours.

Stay tuned...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure enough, 2.5 hours later, slows from 40 mbps to .40 mbps. 

This is making me crazy. I went back to channel 116 as it doubles my throughput up to 80 until it slows. 

Everytime I reset, it speeds back up. 2.5 hours max time...argh. 

Any ideas? Channel is set at 116 at 80mhz, aes encryption. 

26dbi...rssi's are good. 

 

What makes it want to run so slow when a reset speeds it back up? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I force an mcs rate and keep it higher? 

I dont think it can connect at mcs9 due to rssi ranges from 63 to 69. But I dont need it to be the fastest rate...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 7:18 AM, LaserWeld said:

Thanks for the reply! I installed the latest firmware from the site (looked like 2015?) but did it anyway. I did enable spanning tree, and then set it to disable. Doesn't seem to make a difference either way, and as you say, it makes sense that with only the two AP's set in WDS bridge I shouldn't need it.

I have disabled "Green" as suggested and assumed this would be a feature to make the towers go to sleep. I am definitely using the POE injectors that came with the units (I bought them in a kit together).

It's been a struggle to get the RSSI below 60. But I guess I can continue. Does heat affect the AP's? It's hot in Utah and I am guessing on my roof and the other roof that 130F to 140F is very possible.

I can try channels 149 and 157, I avoided these based on the AP Scan's being pretty full there, although the RSSI's on those were pretty week in the high 80's and low 90's.

What baffles me is that I can get speeds that work for my needs and then it slows way down after awhile...

....I will try the other channels and get back to you. Thanks again for the reply.

This may due to some environmental factors why you are not getting the best RSSI reading. If possible, mount the antenna as high as you can (above the roof and trees in the way) to ensure a clear RF line of sight and to achieve better signal strength.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, since I am new, help me out with the reason you are focusing on RSSI. 

My RSSI signals don't seem to degrade and I have solid connection all the time. It always says up. When I reboot, I get high 80's Mbits/sec. This works for my application quite well. 

The thing I am not understanding is why it slowly degrades signal over an hour or two. 

Can that be related to the height of my AP's? They are about 35 feet in the air, but only 2 feet off the roofs of the two buildings. Are the buildings interfering because they are close to the AP? I am new enough to this that I just don't understand why a reboot gets me the speeds I need and then it slows down over time...

On a side note When I do discovery on my Slave device (under tools) the Master Device shows up twice. On the Master Device, when I do discovery, I only see the slave listed once. 

Is there a configuration error that makes it show up twice? If so, could it be looping weird and  filling up the RAM over time? 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went up and aligned the AP's just a bit better using a line of sight scope. The RSSI's went from 68 to about 58. So some good improvement. 

The mbits/sec went up slightly, but my internet throughput increased dramatically. The only problem is I still have the timing out and slowing down issue over time. So far, the connection has been up for 3 hours, but the throughput is slowly degrading. Still baffled on this one....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LaserWeld said:

So, since I am new, help me out with the reason you are focusing on RSSI. 

My RSSI signals don't seem to degrade and I have solid connection all the time. It always says up. When I reboot, I get high 80's Mbits/sec. This works for my application quite well. 

The thing I am not understanding is why it slowly degrades signal over an hour or two. 

Can that be related to the height of my AP's? They are about 35 feet in the air, but only 2 feet off the roofs of the two buildings. Are the buildings interfering because they are close to the AP? I am new enough to this that I just don't understand why a reboot gets me the speeds I need and then it slows down over time...

On a side note When I do discovery on my Slave device (under tools) the Master Device shows up twice. On the Master Device, when I do discovery, I only see the slave listed once. 

Is there a configuration error that makes it show up twice? If so, could it be looping weird and  filling up the RAM over time? 

Thoughts?

On your side note: "When I do discovery on my Slave device (under tools) the Master Device shows up twice. On the Master Device, when I do discovery, I only see the slave listed once."   Discovery tool is used to detect other EnGenius device(s) on the network that has the same chipset (atheros, for instance).

Do you have another EnGenius device on your network aside from the EnStationAC?. If none, try factory resetting the EnStationAC(slave) then reconfigure it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, thanks so much for the replies.

In regards to the other Engenius devices on my network, I do not have anything other than the two bridged EnstationAC AP's. On the one end at the house, there is a Linksys AC3200 router acting as a DHCP. On the shop end, I have an ASUS 3200 Router as the Access Point (No DHCP) for inside the shop. It is on channel 36 and channel 161. (The AP's bridged are at channel 116)

Yesterday, after changing the alignment slightly on the House AP, I was able to keep the speeds up between 75mbits/sec and at worst 6mbits/sec for about 12 hours, then the speeds went back down to .50mbits/sec.

Last night I did a reset (full factory) on the Slave AP at the shop and this morning my speeds are around 100 mbits/sec. I will watch it and see how the day fairs and then report back.

On a side note, both AP's were missing the default gateway in their static IP configuration. I believe that got the 12 hour uptime to work rather than the 2 to 3 hour max I was seeing.

What affect does not assigning a DNS serve on the AP's have? They are set as 0.0.0.0 right now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When APs are on WDS Bridge mode, all traffic would be transparent. I couldn't see any effect if there is or no DNS server address on the bridges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far the connection has been consistently up at 100mbits/second now that the gateway is properly set on both AP's and that the slave AP was reset to factory settings and then reconfigured. I hope its not too early to say that the problem is solved! Crossing my fingers. 

:-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LaserWeld said:

So far the connection has been consistently up at 100mbits/second now that the gateway is properly set on both AP's and that the slave AP was reset to factory settings and then reconfigured. I hope its not too early to say that the problem is solved! Crossing my fingers. 

:-)

Good to hear from you! If you have further concern, just don't hesitate to reach out. You may also send email to support@engeniustech.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, it was a good 14 hours at straight 100mbits/sec average, but it slowed down to 6again before I reset both AP's. Now its back up to the high 90's.

Is there something inherent in the bridge that requires regular reboots to keep the high speed connection. Is that why it has a wifi scheduler? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having the EXACT same issue with one of our customers.  Power cycling the units seems to solve the problem temporarily.  Sometimes the connection is good for a few hours, sometimes it almost works for the entire work day.  I thought that I may have had a bad unit, (or two), so I replaced both of them with new units....,  They still do the same thing.  It's hot here where I am located.  Daytime temps above 100 degrees F.  There is probably nothing wrong with the first units, and they worked great for almost a year.

Any suggestions besides those already given above?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Chuck Hager said:

I am having the EXACT same issue with one of our customers.  Power cycling the units seems to solve the problem temporarily.  Sometimes the connection is good for a few hours, sometimes it almost works for the entire work day.  I thought that I may have had a bad unit, (or two), so I replaced both of them with new units....,  They still do the same thing.  It's hot here where I am located.  Daytime temps above 100 degrees F.  There is probably nothing wrong with the first units, and they worked great for almost a year.

Any suggestions besides those already given above?

Chuck-

I too had the system installed on a roof that was in an area with 100 degree F ambient temps and by the end of the day is when I had the issues. I believe the system just can't handle the heat and there have been no long term solutions presented on Enstation's site, or in the forum. Unfortunately, I ended up going with the Ubiquiti NanoBeamAC GEN2 wireless bridge. It's not quite as fast, but is absolutely solid.

I would love to find a solution for the Engenius bridge, but until there is something concrete, I can't afford to use their product...

...now it just sits in the corner gathering dust.

Edited by LaserWeld

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LaserWeld/Chuck,

Based on the operating temp for EnStationAC, 100 degrees F should be able to handle.

Temperature Range
Operating: -4°F to 140°F, -20°C to 60°C
Storage: -22°F to 176°F, -30°C to 80 °C

The fact that matter is we don't know how long the device can handle the heat (8 hours, for instance). I'll keep you guys posted once I have the information ready. In the interim, you may want to check out EnGenius Wireless Best Practices for outdoor backhaul deployment from the URLs below:

https://helpcenter.engeniustech.com/hc/en-us/articles/235454228--Deploying-a-Point-to-Multi-Point-Backhaul-Network 

https://helpcenter.engeniustech.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005862868-Wireless-Backhaul-Network-Deployment-Best-Practices

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure exactly what that means. The reality is that on my roof, at the edge, even with a pole up a few feet, the shingles generate a lot more heat than ambient. By the calculations I have seen, it is closer to 145 degrees F. 

The bottom line... I have 2 bricks in the corner, and a Ubiquiti setup in the same exact place, same height, that is working in the same heat...

...I would love to find a solution and be able to use and recommend the EnstationAC, but until the units work in the real world, I will have to stay away. 

Please let me know if you find a solution. 

Regards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LaserWeld said:

Not sure exactly what that means. The reality is that on my roof, at the edge, even with a pole up a few feet, the shingles generate a lot more heat than ambient. By the calculations I have seen, it is closer to 145 degrees F. 

The bottom line... I have 2 bricks in the corner, and a Ubiquiti setup in the same exact place, same height, that is working in the same heat...

...I would love to find a solution and be able to use and recommend the EnstationAC, but until the units work in the real world, I will have to stay away. 

Please let me know if you find a solution. 

Regards.

Thanks for the reply LaserWeld. I'll keep you posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.