Posted (edited)

So I have an SA 5315 currently connected to the 3 5Ghz outputs of my ENH1750EXT, my question is, does order matter? The inputs of the antennas are clearly marked 1,2, and 3, while there is no indication of 1,2, or 3 on the corresponding AP outputs.  My question stems from the fact that my SA5315 does not seem to have nearly the advertised range.  I am getting a spotty signal at approximately .75 miles with clear line of sight to the antenna.  I will be bringing an SA2312 online to the 2.4Ghz outputs of the same access point and don't want to run in to the same issues.  Also when using a Sector Antenna with the ENH1750EXT, is there an ideal power setting to use for the WiFi transmission power.  I am currently using "Green Mode" which does not allow for the modification of power levels, but there was an article that was referenced in another topic that said that the ideal settings for outdoor AP's were -17db on the 2,4Ghz band and -23db on the 5Ghz band. That too much power will make return communications difficult.  Does this theory also hold true when using Sector Antennas? Will I achieve better range by disabling the green mode and setting the power to these settings, or does the power need to correspond to the db of the sector antenna? Also does band steering work when using sector antennas, or should I leave it off?

Edited by Josh
additional question

What is the device connecting to your ENH1750EXT on the 5GHz band? Is it within the 120° beamwidth of the SA5315? 

I am currently using an iPhone 5s as my signal testing device.  I am within the 120 degree sector that should have signal and have clear line of sight to the antenna.  I am using this device because moving forward the plan is for our roaming clients to be able to use similar devices.

Smartphones by design have low-power built-in wireless adapters and low gain antennas. It is already pretty good that you iPhone can see the signal from the ENH1750EXT and the SA5315 at 0.75 miles away.

So basically the advertised range of 1.86 miles is only if the receiving station is powered or in a bridge type configuration? So ideally to cover an entire golf course in WiFi, I would need to have at least 4-5 nodes in a mesh type environment?